I have registered a limited company, can I object to someone trading with my name?

If a company has registered a name with Companies House that you deem to be 'too similar' to your company name then you need to write to The Secretary of State for Trade & Industry at Companies House in Cardiff or Edinburgh.

The Secretary of State's powers are discretionary and each case is considered on its own merits before a decision is made. The company that may be directed to change it's name can put forward evidence to support the use of the name. This evidence will then be considered when the decision is made on whether the name needs to be changed.

If you believe that a business is simply trading in a style similar to yours then it is recommended that you seek legal advice regarding the matter.

We are here to help you. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to call 0844 815 0909 for friendly and professional advice.

Return to FAQ page

Return to Company Formation home page.

Any questions or to order now - Contact us